Thursday, December 6, 2007

slow down, please

she is so independent these days. she will spend hours on the floor just rolling, rocking on all fours, scootching her way towards the dog, and exploring every inch of her little world. every once in a while she will look up to make sure i am still here or whine to make sure i am paying attention to her extraordinary feats. she's only 6 months old (7 months on tuesday!), yet, sometimes i forget how much she needs me still. i am always there when she needs to eat or be changed. i am there when she bumps her head or is scared by a loud noise. i am there for a cuddle & kisses all day long. but i forget that she still needs to be held close for no reason. she needs to feel the rhythm of my breathing like she did when she was growing inside of me. she needs to feel the warmth of my body & know that she is safe & protected. my little girl is growing up too quickly... let me never forget that she will always need her mommy.

yesterday, we sat on the floor folding laundry. a game of peek-a-boo with the dish towels as our entertainment. she leaned down as if she was going to scoot away & then changed her mind. she teetered for a second & then TaDa! she sat up all by herself! my eyes filled with tears as i watched her latest accomplishment. it may seem like no big deal to some, but my joy in her new feat is mixed with the sorrow that my baby is growing up far too quickly.

1 comment:

Traylor Family said...

Little Pennylu is the luckiest baby girl in the whole world to have a mommy that loves her so